The National Bus Pass entitles the pass holder to free off peak travel on local buses anywhere in England.
The National Bus Pass is available to older people or those with certain disabilities. To find out whether you are eligible for a pass, and for details of how to apply, follow the links below.
Pay for a replacement National Bus Pass
If you lose your pass or if it is stolen or damaged, we charge £10 to issue a replacement. You must first report your pass as lost, stolen or damaged to our Customer Service Centre by calling 01392 383688 or by emailing email@example.com. They will then issue you with your 8-digit Devonwide number which you will need to make the payment. Please note you may not be able to use this service if your pass is due to be renewed in the next 12 months.
UPDATE: Stagecoach Falcon Service
From 1st April 2020 the Stagecoach Falcon service will no longer be accepting the National Bus Pass. As Stagecoach have confirmed that more than 50% of the seats on Falcon services are bookable in advance, Devon County Council has agreed that the nature of the Falcon service excludes it from the National Bus Pass Scheme.
UPDATE: Passes expiring in 2022
We have approximately 60000 cards that have an expiry date between August and October 2022 which also carry a photograph that will be over 10 years old when the pass is due for renewal. We are therefore trying to stagger this workload over the intervening period by writing to passholders now and inviting them to submit an up to date photograph. If you receive a request for a new photograph for the 2022 renewal of your card, you can supply an up to date photograph at any time that is convenient for you between now and the end of June 2022.
UPDATE: Additional eligibility criterion for disabled applicants
In 2018, the Government consulted local authorities on changes to the eligibility criteria for the National Bus Pass. Legislative changes are expected to be confirmed on 31st May 2019 with a likely implementation date of 30th August 2019. The change that will be made is as follows:
- A new eligibility criterion for people who score 10 points or more under the ‘planning and following a journey’ activity of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
Devon County Council will be able to accept National Bus Pass applications for persons in receipt of 10 points or more as detailed above as soon as the changes to eligibility guidelines are confirmed.
This change does not affect or replace any of the existing eligibility criteria for age-related or disabled applications.
You can now check that we have the correct address on your bus pass record on our database by using our address check application.
Important information about renewing your bus pass:
- Age-eligible passes issued by Devon County Council are only renewed automatically if they have been recorded in use on-bus in the preceding 12 months. This means that passes which are damaged and therefore do not scan on the ticket machine will not be automatically renewed. Similarly, passes which have only been used in London will also not be renewed. If your pass is damaged or has only been used in London please contact us at least one month before your pass is due to expire to arrange for a renewal.
- If you have an older person’s bus pass issued by Devon County Council which is now due for renewal and you have changed address since your pass was issued but did not inform us, please contact us immediately to ensure that your new pass is sent to the correct address.
- If you no longer live in the Devon County Council area, you need to apply to your new home local authority as we cannot issue passes for people who no longer live in the Devon County Council area.
- If you have a bus pass that was issued by a local authority other than Devon County Council, you will need to make a new application to Devon County Council as if applying for the first time. Devon County Council does not have access to the records or data held by other local authorities and as such we are unable to accept the issue of a National Bus Pass by another authority as proof of eligibility.
- Age-eligible passes that are currently in use are renewed automatically and you should receive your new pass 3-4 weeks prior to the expiry date of your current pass.
- If your pass expires within 2 weeks and you have not heard from us or received your new pass please contact us immediately.
- For further details refer to the section ‘Renewal process’ below.