26th January 2020 update.
We received communication from the Bikeability Trust on 25th January 2021 regarding Adult Cycle Training. Whilst our courses are not funded by the Bikeability Trust, it is important that we listen to industry guidance. Therefore, following consultation between Devon County Council and the cycle training provider, adult cycle sessions can continue at the present time if those participating are satisfied that they have a reasonable excuse within the law. The legal position is outlined below:
- Reasonable excuses include work and exercise. It is possible to leave your home for the purposes of work where it is not possible to work from home.
- You can also leave your home where it is reasonably necessary for the purposes of exercise, and you can do this with one other person from outside your household. Cycle instructors may leave their home for the purpose of work.
- Participants must only take part in cycle training if they have a reasonable excuse under the regulations, for example if they are satisfied that it is reasonably necessary to do so for their exercise.
- There may be circumstances where cycle training might fall under a reasonable excuse under the regulations. However, it is not certain that all sessions will do so. In the context of the severity of the pandemic, therefore, the government advice is adult cycle skills training should not generally be going ahead, unless these conditions are met.
- Outdoor exercise should only be taken once per day and should be taken within participants’ local area.
- Instructors and clients should make an informed decision as to whether this training should proceed.
- The sessions must be 1-1, in a public outdoor space and social distancing should be maintained throughout.
We would like to reassure you that we will take every necessary precaution to reduce the risk of COVID-19 to our instructors and our clients. Let the instructor know if you would like to see the new risk assessment and processes that are now in place.
Our instructors will only deliver if they are well and are not experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, they will follow Government guidance regarding social distancing and we ask the same of every client taking part.
We are offering adults in Devon (excluding Torbay and Plymouth) a free two hour 1:1 cycle confidence session. The sessions can be split into 2 x 1 hour if that suits you.
and if a friend or colleague wishes to participate with they just need to make a note on the booking form. Book a session if you want to:
- learn to ride a bike
- improve on the skills you already have
- help you get back into cycling again
- start cycling to work or place of study
- get tips for riding as a family
- get advice on suitable routes
The sessions are completely tailored to your requirement and the instructor can meet you at a location near where you live or work. You can also request an instructor of the same sex, if you prefer.
Hear from our instructors about Cycling Superpowers and what inspires others to cycle!
Sign up today
Tell us how we did
When you have had your training please complete our brief feedback survey.
Contact our cycle training provider
Tel: 01752 515385
We are keen to support companies that encourage their staff to cycle to work and we’d encourage employers who cycle for work to let have the training in work time.
Talk to us about providing training for all your staff.